To some PlayStation loyals, it seems like it was forever ago that the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services suffered massive hacking attacks, causing a complete shutdown of the system. For the weeks that followed, Sony was rebuilding, moving and restructuring their servers and security protocols to prevent this from happening in the future. Unfortunately, it happened at a time where big events were about to happen to the PSN, specifically a Black Ops Double XP night and the release of some key games, like SOCOM 4 and Brink.
Last week we did see the Network come back online, at least in some limited matchmaking and gameplaying form, with the PlayStation Store and more enhanced services to follow very soon. Sony also announced that they would be offering a "Welcome Back" package to its PSN members.
We now have the details of that package for North American and European users and that is after the break.
For North America, as soon as the Network, along with the PlayStation Store, has been fully restored in your region, you will have some neat gifts awaiting for you. The package will be available for 30 days after it goes live and can be kept until your PS3 becomes a paperweight.
You may select up to two PS3 titles as part of the package. The games are:
For PSP users, you can select up to two PSP titles. The games are:
Here's what else will be included as part of your package:
- A selection of "On Us" rental movie titles will be available to PlayStation Network customers over one weekend, where Video Service is available. Those titles will be announced soon.
- 30 days free PlayStation Plus membership for non PlayStation Plus subscribers.
- Existing PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive an additional 60 days of free subscription.
- Existing Music Unlimited Premium Trial subscription members will receive an additional 30 days of free premium subscription.
- Additional 30 days + time lost for existing members of Music Unlimited Premium/Basic subscription free of charge for existing Premium/Basic members.
- To welcome users Home, PlayStation Home will be offering 100 free virtual items. Additional free content will be released soon, including the next addition to the Home Mansion personal space, and Ooblag's Alien Casino, an exclusive game.
Sony has said they've tried to make the Welcome Back program as diverse as possible as they know they couldn't have pleased everyone with this idea. It's pretty cool to see some big title games on that list, though. Again, this is only available once service is fully restored in your area, so be on the lookout for the games to pop up soon!
Also, check out the source link for the details on Europe's Welcome Back Program.