The UpStream

Pandora's CEO Joe Kennedy Resigns Despite Strong Q4 2012 Numbers

posted Sunday Mar 10, 2013 by Nicholas DiMeo

Pandora's CEO Joe Kennedy Resigns Despite Strong Q4 2012 Numbers

Remember last week when I said Pandora has been stuck in some sort of crazy reality of their own and chose to limit the amount of listening done on mobile platforms for free? Well, in a related story, the CEO of Pandora, Joe Kennedy, has stepped down from his position despite the company reporting strong numbers in 2012. Kennedy has run the company since 2004.

In his statement, he said,

As I near the start of my tenth year at the helm of Pandora, I am incredibly proud of the team and what we have accomplished in redefining radio. As part of our Board discussions of the road that lies ahead, I reached the conclusion and advised the Board that the time is right to begin a process to identify my successor. There is a tremendous market opportunity ahead and I look forward to continuing to work with all the great people at Pandora to keep driving the business forward.

Until said successor is found, the CEO will remain in position. This comes as a bit of a surprise, however, as the music-streaming service reported Q4 revenues of $125 million, which is a 54 percent hike against 2011's fourth quarter numbers. For those keeping score at home, $109 million of that revenue came from ads.

In the eight years Joe Kennedy was with Pandora, he was able to get the company to reach very remarkable achievements. Pandora currently has over 67 million monthly active listeners, owns over eight percent of total US radio listening, and for their last fiscal year, was able to bring in $427 million, with $255 million coming from mobile. As I've said, however, their refusal to adapt and change with the times, including killing off their failed use of the music genome project, has led them to play catch up with up-and-comers like Spotify. With rumors spreading of Apple trying to enter the streaming game, on top of Spotify looking to cut cheaper rates with the music labels, perhaps this was the right time to look for a new leader.

So there you have it. If you liked this article and cherish the news you read each day, please do not like, +1 or share it. You may end up filling your timelines and feeds with articles about CEOs from other companies you don't care about. This was an article about Pandora, after all.

Sprint Rolls Out 4G LTE in Nine New Markets

posted Sunday Mar 10, 2013 by Nicholas DiMeo

Sprint Rolls Out 4G LTE in Nine New Markets

Ever since Sprint announced its move to 4G LTE, a lot of things have been happening with the company. First, Softbank acquired 70% of Sprint, who then turned around and picked up Clearwire, a company they've been financially carrying on their back. However, we've still seen a lack of 4G LTE from the pin drop company. Hopefully, with all of these transactions being finalized, we'll see more in the future, but this week, Sprint announced it's rolling out more of the high-speed network.

Sprint has rolled out 4G LTE in nine new markets, bringing the total number of areas who have the coverage to 67, which is still over 200 less than Verizon's map. Those markets are Altoona, Pa., Asheville, N.C., Columbus, Ind., Elkhart/Goshen, Ind., Hammond, La., La Crosse, Wis., San Juan, Puerto Rico, Statesville, N.C., and Temple, Texas. Bob Azzi, Senior VP of Networks for Sprint, said,

With today's announcement, Sprint is enabling even more customers to sample the power of 4G LTE on their smartphones, tablets and wireless hotspots. The network team continues to build and test the new network across the country, including areas like San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York. Customers report they are already finding a 4G LTE signal in these places, and we look forward to providing even more reliable access to the data they need with our official launches.

Because of the new markets and expanded high-speed coverage, Sprint is making a push to try and get customers to switch over. Until April 11th, you can save an extra $100 off a Galaxy S II or Galaxy S III.

In part with the newly added 4G LTE, the expected 3G+ enhancements are also underway in the mentioned markets and surrounding areas. Customers in those areas should expect:

  • Faster data speeds to enable instant Web access for news updates, HD viewing and game-playing, quicker video downloads and clearer video chats.
  • Better signal strength when accessing the Web.
  • Fewer dropped calls for peace of mind when talking to friends, family or colleagues.

So, there you have it. Sprint, with the help of Softbank, is making gradual steps to try and get back into the game. They still have the only truly unlimited 4G LTE service available nationwide and, if talks of the potential Windows Phone makes its way over to Sprint, they might have the leverage they need to really compete with Verizon Wireless and AT&T again.

If you'd like to check out Sprint's short clip on the future plans of their network, hit the break.

Court Rules Search Engines Not Responsible for Unflattering Results

posted Saturday Mar 9, 2013 by Scott Ertz

Court Rules Search Engines Not Responsible for Unflattering Results

One of the fascinating things about people in the US is that, despite highly publicized precedent in court, people will still file the same suit and expect different results. I believe I heard that is the definition of insanity, but I'm no expert.

This week's example of insanity comes to us care of Wisconsin resident Beverly Stayart, CFO and Director of Business Development at Stayart Law Offices. You would think that someone working at a law office, especially one whose last name is in the office name, would be smarter than wasting resources, but here we go. Miss Stayart sued Google because of the search results that return when searching for her name, "Bev Stayart."

As it turns out, "Bev Stayart Levitra" is related to erectile dysfunction and, therefore, her name returns sex pills. She believes this sullies her "wholesome image," despite the fact that she is obviously not related to erectile dysfunction. The court ruled in Google's favor, just as they have in Yahoo's favor previously for the same case.

Previously, in an unrelated case, Google won a very similar battle with then Presidential candidate Rick Santorum. Santorum believed that the results for his last name returning a relatively unknown, yet legitimate British slang term with the same name, returned before his own results, were hurting his chances for the Republican nomination. The term had gained popularity in the US when openly gay sex advisor Dan Savage used SEO skills to promote the term when Santorum came out angrily against gay equality.

If a Presidential candidate was unable to win the case against Google, I'm not sure what an unknown lawyer in Wisconsin thought she brought to the table. For now, the Internet has won another battle against censorship, no matter how frivolous and insane it might be.

LTE Broadcast Might Reincarnate FloTV

posted Saturday Mar 9, 2013 by Scott Ertz

LTE Broadcast Might Reincarnate FloTV

It was not long ago that Qualcomm announced their FloTV service. Pretty cool idea: watch a collection of cable channels without the need for cable anywhere you are. After several years of development and software services, the original dedicated devices, of which I have two sitting on my desk right now, were a 3.5" touchscreen running on a custom wireless network with dedicated spectrum. The long-term goal was to expand into larger screens, such as in-vehicle dash, headrest and ceiling screens, to enhance the travel experience, especially with kids.

Unfortunately, a low adoption rate combined with pretty laggy service cut that dream short. Qualcomm shut the service down mere months after launching its special hardware and service combination to the public and sold its spectrum to AT&T. Well, that spectrum was integrated into AT&T's LTE network and may end up back in use for FloTV. As it turns out, LTE has a broadcast mode in the specification, where if multiple devices are connecting to the same content, they can burst that content over a single channel. This would certainly prevent the lag issue experienced before.

The partnerships the company formed, both through FloTV and, of course, their primary processor business, could bring the service back, possibly with or without dedicated hardware. The original service was available on AT&T and Verizon handsets and, with both running LTE today, it could return better than before, using the broadcast capabilities. It would allow the service to run faster with less bandwidth for either service. How could it get better?

If you had the ability to watch ESPN, CNN or another network on your phone anywhere, would you? Would it be worth a little extra on your bill? Sound off below.

SimCity Launch Disaster Ends in Free Games

posted Saturday Mar 9, 2013 by Scott Ertz

<i>SimCity</i> Launch Disaster Ends in Free Games

EA announced SimCity a year ago, and we have been excited about every peek since. We even got to participate in the beta, and it only revved us up for the official launch this week. Well, much like the launch of SimCity 4, which Maxis has apologized for several times during the development process of the new game, the launch went horribly.

The new version of the game has a new, highly intensive feature, where all cities are connected one another, allowing people to visit their friends' cities. While enhancing the overall experience of the game, it does mean that EA needed to be prepared for the highly anticipated launch with A LOT of servers to handle the launch week load. Unfortunately, no one told EA, who seemed to have an incredibly limited number of server clusters, which all failed immediately.

Lucy Bradshaw, General Manager of Maxis, said,

So what went wrong? The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta. OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. It's working - the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.

This is not the first time EA has had a game use game servers - they are a publisher for PlayStation games, so they have setup game servers before. It is both surprising and disappointing that they failed this launch so badly. At least EA recognizes that they failed hard and have offered some sort of reconciliation: a free game from the EA catalog. This should help calm down those who were upset that EA's Origin service does not allow returns of digitally downloaded content.

So, did you get kicked off of a server like we have? Will a free EA title from the catalog make it better? Have you enjoyed the game when you have been able to connect? Let us know in the comments.

Apple Knowingly Left iOS Users' Data Insecure

posted Saturday Mar 9, 2013 by Scott Ertz

Apple Knowingly Left iOS Users' Data Insecure

This is not the first time Apple has knowingly left its users unprotected, but this is certainly the most ridiculous I have ever encountered. If you know anything about the Internet, you know about HTTPS. It is the color-changed address bar at the top of your browser when you sign-in to your bank account or email account. It is the technology that encrypts data between two computers, and it is used anywhere secure data, like credit cards, are involved.

Well, almost everywhere. Apple had, apparently, decided when developing the App Store that protecting your data wasn't all that important. Subsequently, they developed the entire App Store to run on standard, non-encrypted protocols. This, of course, leaves every transaction open to be discovered, especially if you are connected to an open or public WiFi network.

For example, say you are at a park and your phone automatically connects to a WiFi connection it discovers around you. That WiFi could be setup by a hacker hoping you will do something stupid like enter a password or transfer data that connects to your banking information. Then, someone tells you about a new app you have to have, so you go download it. What could go wrong, right? Well, you have just given your information to that hacker, allowing them to potentially connect to your Apple account OR transfer infected files to your phone. They could even prompt for a fake upgrade, passing bad data to your phone. Good call, Apple.

The problem was discovered by a Google employee, of all possibilities. Elie Bursztein, a researcher for Google, discovered the flaw in his spare time and informed Apple of the issue more than 6 months ago. Believe it or not, it took them until this week to fix it. For those interested in knowing the process for fixing it, it is as simple as enabling SSL on the server and enabling a redirect for non-SSL connections. If you are new at it, it might take an hour; if you are an expert it probably takes 5 minutes. It took Apple 8 months.

That is a disgrace no matter how you look at it. To me, it shows a complete lack of respect for the customers from Apple. Do you agree that this should have been a top priority at Apple or does it make sense that Apple took 8 months to solve the problem? Let us know in the comments below.

We're live now - Join us!
PLuGHiTZ Keyz

Email

Password

Forgot password? Recover here.
Not a member? Register now.
Blog Meets Brand Stats